Gulf markets may plunge on Dubai debt woes
Dubai: Dubai`s shock alert of possible debt
default will send Gulf markets plunging when they reopen this
week after a four-day break, with Dubai and Abu Dhabi worst
hit, economists predicted on Sunday.
The central bank of the United Arab Emirates said it is
providing banks with extra liquidity, stressing its support to
the banking sector after state-owned conglomerate Dubai World
asked to suspend debt payments.
But until the UAE stock exchanges reopen on Monday it is
uncertain to what extent investors will be reassured by the
central bank`s statement.
"I expect to see a drop in Dubai`s market when it opens
Monday... a minimum of two-three percent," Saudi financial
analyst Ali Daqaq said to a news agency.
Dubai stock market rules limit the index to a change of
10 per cent in one day.
"The banking sector will be the hardest hit, due to
exposure to loans, and the danger of default on this debt," he
said, speaking before the central bank pledged support for
All Gulf stock markets have been on holiday since
Thursday for the Muslim feat of Eid al-Adha, sparing them an
immediate impact from Dubai`s announcement that it will seek a
six months freeze on debt repayments at Dubai World.
The news sent jitters throughout Asian and European stock
markets on Thursday and the US market on Friday as investors
feared a possible default by Dubai and its quasi-state
corporates -liable for some 80 billion dollars.
Some economists say the delay in the reaction by Gulf
markets because of Eid might reduce the severe impact on those
"Market fundamentals say that the local market should be
negatively affected by the announcement, especially banks and
real estate stocks," said Emirati economist Nasser bin Ghaith.
"The reaction by the global markets was psychological,
and came strongly. I expect the reaction here to be less hard
because the first shock was absorbed by the global markets,"
he said to a news agency.
He also pointed out, however, that the size of the stock
markets in Dubai and Abu Dhabi is small, with few players.
"Manufactured trends could dictate the move of the market," he
Dubai and Abu Dhabi will be the only Gulf stock markets
to open tomorrow, while Kuwait`s follows on Tuesday. Saudi
Arabia`s financial market - the largest Arab bourse in
capitalisation, will remain on holiday until Saturday.
The markets of Dubai and Abu Dhabi will have only two
days of trading to react to the new announcement before they
go again on holiday until Sunday December 6 for the national
Gulf investors outside the UAE are worried about
contagion from Dubai`s problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe