Gulf summit to tackle economic crisis, conflicts
Kuwait City: Gulf states open a two-day annual summit in Kuwait City on Monday with the global recession`s impact on their energy-rich economies and regional conflicts high on the agenda.
Leaders of the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) will explore ways to boost their economies which have also suffered from the knock-on effect of Dubai`s debt crisis.
Kuwait`s Finance Minister Mustafa al-Shamali on Sunday urged his GCC counterparts to work together in order to contain ongoing fallout from the financial crisis, although he made no explicit reference to Dubai.
"Global economic indicators in the second half of the current year require us to work together to avert any additional consequences of the crisis," Shamali told a meeting of the region`s finance ministers.
The economies of GCC nations, which boast 45 percent of the world`s proven oil reserves and a quarter of global gas resources, have been hit hard by the sharp drop in oil revenues after years of major cash flow.
It was not immediately known if the GCC members -- Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates -- will step in to assist heavily indebted Dubai, one of seven emirates in the UAE federation.
The glitzy Gulf tourism hub sent jitters throughout global markets in late November when it signalled difficulties in repaying the debt of its largest conglomerate Dubai World, which has liabilities of 59 billion dollars.
A number of key economic integration projects will be launched at the summit.
The leaders are expected to officially launch a monetary union pact, approve a multi-billion-dollar railway network and commission the start of a common power grid project.
Politically, Yemen`s fight against Shiite rebels and Saudi Arabia`s involvement in the conflict plus the Iran nuclear issue and the impact of both on regional security will also top the agenda.
Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammad al-Sabah told a foreign ministers meeting that GCC states were surrounded by "grave security developments and serious economic implications."
His Yemeni counterpart Abu Bakr al-Kurbi secured assurances of "economic and security" support from the GCC states during a visit to Kuwait City where he delivered a letter from President Ali Abdullah Saleh to the Kuwaiti ruler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered