Gyan tops BBC African Footballer of the Year poll
Johannesburg: Ghana World Cup hero-cum-villain Asamoah Gyan was crowned BBC African Footballer of the Year Friday after receiving more than half the public poll votes.
Compatriot Andre ‘Dede’ Ayew, Ivorians Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure and Cameroonian Samuel Eto’o were the other finalists with listeners voting online and by text.
“It was really hard to win this award especially because of all the other players I was up against” the striker who joined Sunderland from Rennes in a 20-million-dollar mid-year deal told the Fast Track radio show.
Gyan scored three of the four goals that took Ghana to the African Nations Cup final last January and grabbed another three in South Africa as the Black Stars became only the third African country to make the World Cup last eight.
And the west Africans could have gone even further had Gyan converted a penalty in the dying seconds of stoppage time against Uruguay instead of blasting the ball against the crossbar.
Gyan is also a contender for the CAF African Footballer of the Year award with Eto’o and 2009 winner Drogba and the result of a poll among national coaches will be announced Monday in Cairo.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?