Gyurta snatches surprise breaststroke gold
Rome: Hungary`s Daniel Gyurta surged from behind to snatch a surprise gold medal in the men`s 200 metres breaststroke final at the world championships on Friday.
Gyurta was trailing in last place at the halfway point and sixth at the final turn but he pulled off a sizzling last 50 to clinch a tight race by a fingernail`s length in two minutes 7.64 seconds.
Cancer survivor Eric Shanteau of the United States was only 0.01 of a second back in second place.
"When I was 10 metres from the wall I saw Shanteau was still in front of me and at five I started to concentrate on my technique and put all my power into my strokes," Gyurta told reporters.
"You can see that it worked."
Australia`s Christian Sprenger, who set a world record of 2:07.31 in Thursday`s semis, and Lithuania`s Giedrius Titenis both picked up the bronze medal.
Sprenger`s compatriot Brenton Rickard had his nose in front in the middle but ended up off the podium in fifth.
"You tend to tighten up a little in the breaststroke. You go from swimming like you`re 10 feet tall to swimming like you`re three feet tall," Shanteau said. "That`s kind of what happened to me in the last 10-15."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?