Hackers jailbreak RIM`s PlayBook
Toronto: Three hackers say they have exploited vulnerability in Research In Motion`s PlayBook tablet to gain root access to the device, a claim that could damage the BlackBerry maker`s hard-won reputation for security.
Root access means a user has permission to alter any file or program on a device and can control hardware functions.
In a response to queries, RIM said it is investigating the claim, and if a "jailbreak" is confirmed will release a patch to plug the hole.
The three hackers - who identify themselves as xpvqs, neuralic and Chris Wade - plan to release their data within a week as a tool called DingleBerry.
Apple`s iOS and Google`s Android operating systems are frequently attacked by users who want to run programs that have not been authorized by the manufacturers, but breaches of RIM`s software are more rare.
The PlayBook runs on a different operating system than RIM`s current BlackBerry smartphones. However, the QNX system will be incorporated into its smartphones starting next year.
The PlayBook in July became the first tablet device to win a security certification approving it for US government use.
In a video posted on YouTube, Wade shows the DingleBerry tool allowing the PlayBook to access the Internet video service Hulu, which is not currently available on RIM`s tablet.
Hulu, a service from Comcast`s NBC Universal, News Corp`s Fox and Walt Disney Co`s ABC, blocks all mobile browsers by default and has yet to offer an app for the PlayBook.
A second video showed neuralic typing commands into a computer to turn the PlayBook`s LED indicators on and off.
A source told Reuters that RIM had previously closed a PlayBook vulnerability that allowed a pre-loaded racing game to force a user to watch an introductory video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal