Hamburg win penalty shootout to edge past Duesseldorf
Berlin: Goalkeeper Frank Rost saved two penalties in a shootout to steer Hamburg SV past Fortuna Duesseldorf in the German Cup first round on Monday.
Hamburg won the shootout 4-1 after the teams had remained locked at 3-3 after extra time, hosts Fortuna scoring a last gasp equaliser with a deflected shot by Andreas Lambertz.
Cup first rounds are tricky for Bundesliga clubs as the seeding system pits them away against lower league teams in one-leg ties.
Croatia international Mladen Petric fired Hamburg into the lead after four minutes but Oliver Fink levelled with a near post tap-in seven minutes later.
Fortuna, Bundesliga regulars in the 1970s and 80s who won promotion to the second division last season, went 2-1 up in the 16th with an own goal by Hamburg defender Jerome Boateng.
Brazilian Ze Roberto almost equalised with a powerful shot from inside in the box after a solo run but was denied by Fortuna keeper Michael Melka`s spectacular save in the 53rd minute.
However, a minute later Ze Roberto set up Piotr Trochowski, who hit the target from 18 metres to take the match into extra time.
Hamburg looked to have won it when Trochowski converted a 95th-minute penalty, awarded when Jonathan Pitroipa was brought down, before determined Fortuna came back in the last minute to force penalties.
Rost saved two of them, allowing Marcell Jansen to seal Hamburg`s victory with a low, well-struck spot kick.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand