Hamburg`s Guerrero suffers cruciate injury
Berlin: Hamburg striker Paolo Guerrero will be out of action for several months after tearing his cruciate ligaments during Peru`s World Cup qualifier against Venezuela, the Bundesliga leaders said on Thursday.
"The first tests (in Peru) conclude that Paolo has pulled his cruciate ligament. This is very hard for us and of course for Paolo as well," coach Bruno Labbadia told reporters, after receiving a fax from Peru regarding the 25-year-old`s injury.
"Paolo has scored most goals for us and has also had a leading role off the pitch," he said.
Guerrero, who leads the top-scorers` list with four goals in four Bundesliga matches this season, was due back in Hamburg on Friday and would undergo more tests there.
Guerrero, who had been taken off in Peru`s 3-1 loss to Venezuela, is the second Hamburg player to be injured playing for his country after Namibian Collin Benjamin partially tore his cruciate ligaments in a friendly against Swaziland on Saturday.
Guerrero joined Hamburg in 2006 from Bayern Munich and has been a first-choice striker at the northern club since the beginning of last season.
"On a human level we are also affected because we know what they will have to go through now," said Labbadia.
"Now we have to all come together," Labbadia said of his team`s Bundesliga clash against VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
"We have to turn our stadium into a fortress," he said.
Hamburg are top of the Bundesliga on 10 points, ahead of Bayer Leverkusen on goal difference.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram