Hamburg`s Guerrero suffers cruciate injury
Berlin: Hamburg striker Paolo Guerrero will be out of action for several months after tearing his cruciate ligaments during Peru`s World Cup qualifier against Venezuela, the Bundesliga leaders said on Thursday.
"The first tests (in Peru) conclude that Paolo has pulled his cruciate ligament. This is very hard for us and of course for Paolo as well," coach Bruno Labbadia told reporters, after receiving a fax from Peru regarding the 25-year-old`s injury.
"Paolo has scored most goals for us and has also had a leading role off the pitch," he said.
Guerrero, who leads the top-scorers` list with four goals in four Bundesliga matches this season, was due back in Hamburg on Friday and would undergo more tests there.
Guerrero, who had been taken off in Peru`s 3-1 loss to Venezuela, is the second Hamburg player to be injured playing for his country after Namibian Collin Benjamin partially tore his cruciate ligaments in a friendly against Swaziland on Saturday.
Guerrero joined Hamburg in 2006 from Bayern Munich and has been a first-choice striker at the northern club since the beginning of last season.
"On a human level we are also affected because we know what they will have to go through now," said Labbadia.
"Now we have to all come together," Labbadia said of his team`s Bundesliga clash against VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
"We have to turn our stadium into a fortress," he said.
Hamburg are top of the Bundesliga on 10 points, ahead of Bayer Leverkusen on goal difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional