Hamilton did not race like a champion: Maldonado
Monaco: Lewis Hamilton`s display in the Monaco Grand Prix was unbecoming of an ex-Formula One champion, Pastor Maldonado said after a crash deprived the Venezuelan rookie of his first points for Williams.
"It`s a bit sad but these things happen in races," Maldonado told state TV in a telephone interview from Monaco.
"What I think is that he (Hamilton) has run a race that is not that of a Formula One champion."
Maldonado was running sixth in Sunday`s race, with only a handful of laps to go, when McLaren`s Hamilton tried to force his way past on the inside.
They collided and the Williams driver was pitched into the barriers while 2008 Formula One champion Hamilton continued before receiving a 20-second penalty after the race and ending up sixth.
"I didn`t complain, I just finished my race and started to talk to my team about the next race," Maldonado said.
"If the officials decided to penalise him (Hamilton) it`s for a reason ... it must be fair."
After Maldonado`s disappointment, Rubens Barrichello took ninth spot to give Williams their first points of the season.
Venezuela`s socialist leader Hugo Chavez sought to encourage the rookie driver.
"Cheer up my countryman! Better days will come, brother. Remember that every start is tough," Chavez said via Twitter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended