Hamilton quickest in both sessions
Budapest: McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton, a surprise winner last weekend in Germany, continued to shine when he was fastest in both practice sessions on Friday for the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Red Bull`s Mark Webber crashed and lost his front wing in his first outing and was only fourth quickest second time out.
Briton Hamilton has won twice at the Hungaroring and showed his love of the ageing circuit in the hills outside Budapest by setting the pace on a cloudy day with a quickest lap in the second session of one minute, 21.018 seconds.
He edged out 30-year-old birthday boy Fernando Alonso of Ferrari in his second workout with Saturday`s qualifying and Sunday`s race set to be close affairs again after last weekend`s nail-biting German Grand Prix at the Nuerburgring.
World champion Sebastian Vettel, second fastest in first practice, was fifth quickest in the later session as previously dominant Red Bull played about with their cars to try to discover why McLaren and Ferrari have matched them in the last two races.
Australian Webber, second in the championship but 77 points adrift of team mate Vettel, lost control under no pressure and struck the barriers in front of half-full stands.
He drove slowly back to the pits and his lost wing was retrieved.
Mercedes` woes went on with Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg failing to break into the top six in either session as McLaren`s Jensen Button and Ferrari`s Felipe Massa completed the now almost obligatory sextet.
Reserve drivers Bruno Senna of Renault and Force India`s Nico Hulkenberg drove Nick Heidfeld and Adrian Sutil`s cars for the opening session with both finishing halfway up the timesheets before handing the wheel back to the regular drivers, who performed better in the second stint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why