Harbhajan Singh breaks law in his new Hummer
Chandigarh: Tweaker Harbhajan Singh got on the wrong side of the law on Tuesday for driving around town in his latest possession, Hummer, as he was fined by the police for using the vehicle without a valid number plate.
He is said to have been fined Rs 3000 for the offence, and HS Doon, the ACP of traffic in Chandigarh, told Zeenews that it was a step that would also promote better traffic sense among the common people as it sends out a message that no one is above the law.
After skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh became the latest Indian cricketer to buy the Hummer and the feisty off-spinner says the American SUV is the dream car he has always wanted to possess.
Harbhajan imported the car from England, which costs about Rs 70 lakh in India. After paying the duty, the cost of the vehicle has come to Rs one crore.
While Dhoni`s Hummer is of silver colour, Harbhajan has opted for a "Black Beauty".
Having bought his dream car, Harbhajan is also looking forward to shifting to a new home.
The house is under construction in the New Baradari area of the city. The plot was given by the state government for his outstanding performance in the 2001 home series against Australia.
However, he has no plans to sell off the ancestral home where he was brought up.
"It has memories of my late father Sardev Singh," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- When Microsoft almost bought Yahoo for $45 billion!
- HC tells cops to act if offence made out against Owaisi
- After Kejriwal's dramatic video message, sacked AAP minister claims his life under threat from Delhi CM
- Ruthlessness and positive the key to success in bowling: Ishant Sharma
- Telangana: suspension of 11 lower court judges revoked