Harendra, Dhanraj, Lobo in contention for hockey coach’s post
New Delhi: Harendra Singh might have stepped down as national hockey coach after India’s unexpected loss in the Asian Games semifinals but he, along with former captain Dhanraj Pillay, has applied for the top job of the national team.
The newly-formed development committee of Hockey India, headed by former India captain Pargat Singh, met here on Wednesday for the first time and discussed at length the various aspects related to the game, including prospective candidates for the posts of national team’s coach which is lying vacant after Spaniard Jose Brasa’s contract expired last month.
According to a highly-placed source in Hockey India, the development committee has so far received 10 applications from within the country for the vacant coach’s position and has also approached the International Hockey Federation to suggest some foreign candidate’s name.
“On Wednesday, the development committee met for the first time and discussed in length about all the issues, including that of coaches. The committee will meet here again January 5,” the source told reporters.
“The committee has so far received 10 applications for the coach’s post. Among Indians, Pillay, Harendra and Clawrence Lobo are the notable names who have applied. They are discussing every angle and have also approached FIH for suggestion on foreign candidates,” he added.
The source also said that the committee was of the view that giving the next coach a long tenure will enable him to build a team for the future.
“The committee members discuss to give ample time to the new coach. They want at least four-year term for him,” he said.
He also added the entire selection process of the national team coach would be finished by January next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video