Harendra, Dhanraj, Lobo in contention for hockey coach’s post
New Delhi: Harendra Singh might have stepped down as national hockey coach after India’s unexpected loss in the Asian Games semifinals but he, along with former captain Dhanraj Pillay, has applied for the top job of the national team.
The newly-formed development committee of Hockey India, headed by former India captain Pargat Singh, met here on Wednesday for the first time and discussed at length the various aspects related to the game, including prospective candidates for the posts of national team’s coach which is lying vacant after Spaniard Jose Brasa’s contract expired last month.
According to a highly-placed source in Hockey India, the development committee has so far received 10 applications from within the country for the vacant coach’s position and has also approached the International Hockey Federation to suggest some foreign candidate’s name.
“On Wednesday, the development committee met for the first time and discussed in length about all the issues, including that of coaches. The committee will meet here again January 5,” the source told reporters.
“The committee has so far received 10 applications for the coach’s post. Among Indians, Pillay, Harendra and Clawrence Lobo are the notable names who have applied. They are discussing every angle and have also approached FIH for suggestion on foreign candidates,” he added.
The source also said that the committee was of the view that giving the next coach a long tenure will enable him to build a team for the future.
“The committee members discuss to give ample time to the new coach. They want at least four-year term for him,” he said.
He also added the entire selection process of the national team coach would be finished by January next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical