Haryana win 14 gold medals in wrestling
Ranchi: Haryana grapplers finished on top in the three-day wrestling competition as they added another five gold medals on the final day here today to take their tally to 14 yellow metals in the 34th National Games.
Haryana, which had won five gold medals on Thursday and four on Wednesday, picked up the first of their five gold medals on the third and final day of the competition when Kumar overpowered SSCB`s Pankaj Rana in the final of the
men`s 66kg weight freestyle category.
Manoj Kumar of Uttar Pradesh and Ranjeet Nalawade of Maharashtra returned with bronze medals as losing semifinalists.
Vinod added the second gold medal of the day for Haryana defeating Delhi`s Sukhvinder in a closely-fought bout in the men`s 55kg freestyle competition.
The SSCB`s Narendra and UP`s Subash settled for the bronze medals in this category.
Haryana bagged the third gold medal of the day when Nirmla won the women`s 48kg freestyle final against Delhi`s Sumel. MP`s Rekha and Chandigarh`s Kanta had to be satisfied with bronze medals.
In the 55kg men`s Greco Roman style competition, Haryana`s Rajendra Kumar won the gold by defeating Delhi`s Manjeet, while Punjab`s Hari Krishan and SSCB`s K L Yadav secured the bronze medals.
In the men`s 120kg Greco-Roman style, Dharmendra of Haryana got the better of Jharkhand`s Rishi Pal to win the gold medal while Maharashtra`s Dnyaneshwar Gochde and SSCB`s Devendra won the bronze medals.
Haryana`s Naveen Kumar, however, lost the men`s 120kg free style final to Rohit Patil of Madhya Pradesh to settle for a silver. While SSCB`s Chander Pal and Fira Nagar of Delhi bagged the bronze.
SSCB`s Suresh Kumar emerged victorious in the 66kg Greco Roman freestyle wrestling final, overwhelming Punjab`s Harmendra to win gold.
Delhi`s Sombir and host Jharkhand`s Rajan Kumar secured the bronze each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'