HC seeks explanation from DMRC on safety measures
New Delhi: The High Court on Wednesday sought an
explanation from Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on
allegations that it failed to take appropriate safety
measures while constructing the Metro pillars.
A Division Bench of Chief Justice A P Shah and Justice
Manmohan issued notice to the Corporation and sought its reply
by August 18 on a PIL filed by the Greater Kailash residents.
The residents alleged that the Corporation failed to
comply with High Court`s order issued last year on the
"The recent accident in Zamrudpur happened due to
non-compliance of the safety measures," the petitioner
They also raised objections over Rajan Kataria, a DMRC
engineer, for being a member in the inquiry committee which is
probing into the incident citing that he may be having a
biased attitude and may not be able to judge fairly the
The residents sought a fresh independent committee of
experts barring Kataria from inspection of safety of Metro
pillars specially for the Badarpur metro corridor linking
Defence Colony to Nehru Place.
"DMRC is not fully equipped to prevent the disaster,"
they said and suggested for adoption of Ultrasonic Technique
instead of Mirror Technology, which the Corporation is relying
on, to analyse the crack in the pillar.
Earlier, on their petition, the HC had directed the
DMRC to consider the objections raised by the residents and
allowed for construction of the pillar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?