Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to Aug 1
Puducherry: A local court on Wednesday adjourned to August 1 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra, are the prime accused.
Only seven of the 24 accused were present when the hearing came up before the Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan. The absentees included the two seers.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss told PTI later that Anand Sharma, son of slain Sankararaman, filed a petition stating that his mother`s plea seeking transfer of trial from Puducherry to Madras High court was being taken up today by the High Court.
Sankararaman, manager of the Varadaraja Perumal temple here, was murdered on the temple premises on Sept3,2004.
The two Kanchi seers had been charged under IPC sections 120-B (Criminal Conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
A total of 189 witnesses including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, her son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2010 and 2011.Eightythree of the witnesses turned hostile during the trial, shifted here by the Supreme Court on a petition by Jayendra Saraswathi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi