Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to Aug 1
Puducherry: A local court on Wednesday adjourned to August 1 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra, are the prime accused.
Only seven of the 24 accused were present when the hearing came up before the Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan. The absentees included the two seers.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss told PTI later that Anand Sharma, son of slain Sankararaman, filed a petition stating that his mother`s plea seeking transfer of trial from Puducherry to Madras High court was being taken up today by the High Court.
Sankararaman, manager of the Varadaraja Perumal temple here, was murdered on the temple premises on Sept3,2004.
The two Kanchi seers had been charged under IPC sections 120-B (Criminal Conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
A total of 189 witnesses including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, her son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2010 and 2011.Eightythree of the witnesses turned hostile during the trial, shifted here by the Supreme Court on a petition by Jayendra Saraswathi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician