Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned
Puducherry: A local court on Friday adjourned till November 30 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which seer of Kanchi Mutt Jayendra Saraswathi and his
junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge T Ramaswamy before whom the case came up for hearing, adjourned the proceedings to November 30.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss said the eight-week stay on the trial, given by the Madras High court on August 25 on a writ petition filed by an advocate, was still in force
and hence the trial proceedings in the case in Puducherry court stood adjourned as the matter was pending before the High Court.
Only five of the 24 accused were present in the court when the case came up for hearing. The absentees included the two seers who have been charged under the IPC sections of 302
(murder) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy).
The petitioner had sought a stay on the trial and a direction to the Registrar (Vigilance) to commence a statutory investigation by filing an FIR on his complaint regarding
video tapes containing purported phone conversation allegedly to influence the judgement in the Sankararaman case. The petitioner had also sought a re-trial of the case.
The High Court had launched a "discrete" inquiry into the video tapes, and the court was told on October 13 that it had been completed.
Sankararaman, manager of the Sri Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was murdered in September 2004. Police have charged the seer and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi with involvement in the murder due to previous enmity.
The trial of the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpet court as per a Supreme Court order in a petition filed before the apex court by the Kanchi seer in Oct 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy