Heidfeld`s Hungarian GP comes to a fiery end
Budapest: Nick Heidfeld`s Hungarian Formula One Grand Prix came to a fiery end on Sunday after his Renault burst into flames after a long pitstop.
The German had only just left the Hungaroring pitlane when sparks started to fly and the back end of the car was engulfed by flames.
Heidfeld parked the car on a grass verge and hurriedly scrambled out as smoke billowed into the sky while marshals extinguished the blaze as a sidepod exploded and flung debris onto the track.
"We wanted to stop early because we were quicker than the cars ahead...and then the pitstop took longer than it should have and I think this is why probably something overheated," Heidfeld told BBC television.
"I was a bit (scared). I had a fire in Barcelona as well but I wasn`t worried there at all but this one got quite close," he added. "In Barcelona I didn`t feel any temperature and this time I felt some heat so I had to get out quickly.
"After I stopped I think the fire marshals were trying to put the fire out and then there was a small explosion on the left. I`ve never seen anything like that before."
Mercedes` Michael Schumacher and Team Lotus driver Jarno Trulli were also forced to retire before the halfway stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi