Hewitt leads Australia into Davis Cup playoffs
Beijing: Lleyton Hewitt has secured Australia`s passage into the Davis Cup World Group playoffs with a 6-2, 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (2) win over China`s Zhang Ze to give Australia an unassailable 3-1 lead in the Asia-Oceania second-round match.
The 173rd-ranked Hewitt, originally only listed to play in Saturday`s doubles, replaced Marinko Matosevic for the first of Sunday`s reverse singles.
The former No. 1-ranked Hewitt repaid the faith of team captain Pat Rafter, recording his 37th win in 46 Cup singles matches.
On Saturday, Hewitt helped give Australia a 2-1 lead after a straight-sets win in doubles with partner Chris Guccione.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh