HI brings Pargat on board, gives development committee charge
New Delhi: Former India captain and a stern critic of Hockey India, Pargat Singh was today appointed chairman of the development committee of HI.
The decision was taken at a governing council meeting of HI here which was also attended by Pargat among other office bearers.
Pargat will head a five to seven member committee, which is expected to be in place by December 14 when the HI officials will meet again.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra told PTI that Pargat was chosen for the job considering his vast experience and knowledge about the game.
"In today`s meeting we discussed many issues. We formed a development committee and named Pargat as its chairman as he is best suited for the job," Batra said.
"The committee will have like-minded five to seven members, both men and women, who will work together for the development of Indian hockey," he said.
The HI secretary also said that the issue of national team coaches and support staff was also broadly discussed in today`s meeting and the newly-formed development committee has been authorised to take a call on the matter.
Asked whether national coach Harendra Singh`s resignation was discussed in the meeting, Batra said, "Each and everything was discussed but broadly. We only formed a base today.
"I have been asked to personally to talk to everyone, including Harendra. But the committee will be evaluating all the candidates in fray and give their suggestion, which I will take it to Sports Authority of India."
Incidentally, the manner and circumstances under which Harendra had resigned after India lost to Malaysia in the semi-finals of Asian Games has not gone down well with some members of the federation.
The senior men`s hockey team is without a coach after the Asian Games where they won the bronze medal. While national coach Harendra had tendered his resignation immediately after India`s shocking 3-4 defeat at the hands Malaysia, chief coach Brasa`s contract has expired.
Four other team officials -- Pradeep Datta (trainer), Shrikant (physio), Clarence Lobo (goalkeeping coach) and SK Naik (team doctor) -- were also reported to have jointly resigned from their respective posts.
Batra also hinted at a possible reshuffle in the management of both the men`s and women`s team.
"We obviously have to re-organise the entire set up because their tenure has ended with the Asian Games. But we will see whom to retain and whom not," Batra said.
"We have to look for best arrangement, we have to look for people who can gel with the team because we hardly have any time in our hand for the Olympic qualifiers. We have to make a roadmap," he added.
Foreign coaches have always had a tumultuous association with Indian hockey but Batra did not rule out the possibility of an overseas candidate taking over the reigns of the team once again.
"If there is a good candidate who can adjust with the players, who can adjust with the Indian system, he or she is welcome because our main aim is to be among the top four hockey playing nations by 2014," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!