HI warns players against playing in IHF-organised national
New Delhi: Power struggle in the national game intensified with Hockey India (HI) warning players against participating in next month`s men`s national championship in Bhopal organised by the rival Indian Hockey Federation (IHF).
Reinstated by a recent Delhi High Court order, the KPS Gill-led IHF in a Special General Body had earlier this month decided, among other things, to host the championship in Bhopal from July 4-18.
Hockey India, which came into being last year following IHF`s disaffiliation, however, warned teams and players against participating in the "unauthorised" tournament.
"It may be noted that strict disciplinary action and penalisation as deemed fit would be taken against all those teams and players who participate in such kind of unauthorise tournament," Hockey India President Vidya Stokes said in a statement.
"Hockey India has not given any permission for conduct of the men`s national championship at Bhopal from 4-18 July, 2010," she added.
Insisting that HI is the only recognised hockey federation in the country, Stokes said, "Being the only recognised national body for both men and women hockey in India, it is the sole prerogative of Hockey India to conduct the national championships and also to grant permission for
the holding of various domestic tournaments besides sending various teams to overseas competitions including the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, World Cup and Olympic Games," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate