HI warns players against playing in IHF-organised national
New Delhi: Power struggle in the national game intensified with Hockey India (HI) warning players against participating in next month`s men`s national championship in Bhopal organised by the rival Indian Hockey Federation (IHF).
Reinstated by a recent Delhi High Court order, the KPS Gill-led IHF in a Special General Body had earlier this month decided, among other things, to host the championship in Bhopal from July 4-18.
Hockey India, which came into being last year following IHF`s disaffiliation, however, warned teams and players against participating in the "unauthorised" tournament.
"It may be noted that strict disciplinary action and penalisation as deemed fit would be taken against all those teams and players who participate in such kind of unauthorise tournament," Hockey India President Vidya Stokes said in a statement.
"Hockey India has not given any permission for conduct of the men`s national championship at Bhopal from 4-18 July, 2010," she added.
Insisting that HI is the only recognised hockey federation in the country, Stokes said, "Being the only recognised national body for both men and women hockey in India, it is the sole prerogative of Hockey India to conduct the national championships and also to grant permission for
the holding of various domestic tournaments besides sending various teams to overseas competitions including the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, World Cup and Olympic Games," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown