Highlights of PM`s meeting on CWG
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday held a high-level review meeting for the Commonwealth Games to be held Oct 3-14.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday held a high-level review meeting for the Commonwealth Games to be held Oct 3-14.
Here are the highlights -
1. PM points out slippages in the time schedules of some of the construction works and deficiencies.
2. Asks for effective supervision to gain public confidence.
3. Asks all pending CWG work to be expeditiously completed in a time-bound manner and to carry out quality audit of completed facilities so that they meet international standards.
4. Group of Ministers (GoM) set up for CWG, headed by union Urban Development Minister S. Jaipal Reddy, was directed to meet immediately and frequently. The Group was empowered to take all decisions.
5. Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrasekhar directed to liaise with GoM.
6. Committee of Secretaries headed by the Cabinet Secretary will continue to review implementation and it will have the status of an Empowered Committee.
7. CWG Organizing Committee asked to take appropriate steps urgently to conclude all pending preparations.
8. PM directs concerned ministries to conduct thorough investigations into all the complaints that have been received of procedural and other irregularities.
9. Those found guilty should face severe and exemplary punishment.
10. The cabinet will be briefed on the state of preparations on a weekly basis.
11. PM said public has a right to know the facts and directed the GoM to ensure timely and authentic information to be released to the public.
12. The promotional campaign of the various events should be stepped up to generate enthusiasm among sports lovers in the largest sporting event the country has held in many years.
13. Manmohan Singh will visit select venues of the Commonwealth Games in the last week of August.