Himachal Pradesh election results: Sonia Gandhi pleased
New Delhi: As the Congress on Thursday wrested power in Himachal Pradesh by getting a simple majority in the state Assembly, the party’s president Sonia Gandhi said she was very happy and pleased with the results.
The Congress’s candidates have won 36 of the 68 seats.
Election Commission officials said the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had won 24 seats and was leading on two seats.
Independents, mainly BJP rebels, won four seats and were leading on two seats.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who won from Hamirpur, has admitting BJP`s defeat in the polls.
Congress veteran and five-time chief minister Virbhadra Singh, who led the party`s campaign in the state, was elected by a record margin of 20,000 votes.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj