Himachal Pradesh election results: Sonia Gandhi pleased
New Delhi: As the Congress on Thursday wrested power in Himachal Pradesh by getting a simple majority in the state Assembly, the party’s president Sonia Gandhi said she was very happy and pleased with the results.
The Congress’s candidates have won 36 of the 68 seats.
Election Commission officials said the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had won 24 seats and was leading on two seats.
Independents, mainly BJP rebels, won four seats and were leading on two seats.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who won from Hamirpur, has admitting BJP`s defeat in the polls.
Congress veteran and five-time chief minister Virbhadra Singh, who led the party`s campaign in the state, was elected by a record margin of 20,000 votes.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth