Himachal Pradesh election results: Sonia Gandhi pleased
New Delhi: As the Congress on Thursday wrested power in Himachal Pradesh by getting a simple majority in the state Assembly, the party’s president Sonia Gandhi said she was very happy and pleased with the results.
The Congress’s candidates have won 36 of the 68 seats.
Election Commission officials said the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had won 24 seats and was leading on two seats.
Independents, mainly BJP rebels, won four seats and were leading on two seats.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who won from Hamirpur, has admitting BJP`s defeat in the polls.
Congress veteran and five-time chief minister Virbhadra Singh, who led the party`s campaign in the state, was elected by a record margin of 20,000 votes.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Can't yet verify if wedding bomber was child or linked to Islamic State: Turkish PM
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener
- An Alaskan village votes to relocate because of global warming