Himachal Pradesh election results: Sonia Gandhi pleased
New Delhi: As the Congress on Thursday wrested power in Himachal Pradesh by getting a simple majority in the state Assembly, the party’s president Sonia Gandhi said she was very happy and pleased with the results.
The Congress’s candidates have won 36 of the 68 seats.
Election Commission officials said the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had won 24 seats and was leading on two seats.
Independents, mainly BJP rebels, won four seats and were leading on two seats.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who won from Hamirpur, has admitting BJP`s defeat in the polls.
Congress veteran and five-time chief minister Virbhadra Singh, who led the party`s campaign in the state, was elected by a record margin of 20,000 votes.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price