Hitler ordered Hess mission to secure peace with UK
London: It was Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler who actually gave the go-ahead to Rudolf Hess`s mission to the UK during World War II to secure peace with Britain`s wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill, according to new documents.
History has long recorded that the Nazi number three was acting alone when he piloted a Messerschmitt to Scotland in May 1941. He parachuted out over Renfrewshire but was held by a farmhand with a pitchfork.
Hess was, apparently, trying to contact the Duke of Hamilton to set peace talks with Winston Churchill in motion, which was believed to be under his own initiative only.
Now, a 28-page notebook discovered in a Russian archive disputes this theory and indicates that Hitler was in on the mission. The notebook was penned in 1948 by Major Karlheinz Pintsch, a long-time adjutant to Hess.
In the notebook, Major Pintsch writes that Hitler hoped an "agreement with the Englishmen would be successful",
the `Daily Mail` reported.
Pintsch notes that Hess`s task -- five weeks before
Germany launched its invasion of Russia -- was to bring about,
"if not a military alliance of Germany with England against
Russia, then to bring about a neutralisation of England".
Pintsch was captured by the Soviets. His interrogation
transcripts found in the archive in Moscow show Hitler wasn`t
surprised when he heard of Hess`s capture.
The relevant section reads, "Nor did he rant and rave
about what Hess had done. Instead, he replied calmly: `At this
particular moment in the war that could be a most hazardous
"Hitler then went on to read a letter that Hess had
sent him. He read the following significant passage out aloud:
`And if this project... ends in failure... it will always be
possible for you to deny all responsibility`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days