Hitler ordered Hess mission to secure peace with UK
London: It was Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler who actually gave the go-ahead to Rudolf Hess`s mission to the UK during World War II to secure peace with Britain`s wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill, according to new documents.
History has long recorded that the Nazi number three was acting alone when he piloted a Messerschmitt to Scotland in May 1941. He parachuted out over Renfrewshire but was held by a farmhand with a pitchfork.
Hess was, apparently, trying to contact the Duke of Hamilton to set peace talks with Winston Churchill in motion, which was believed to be under his own initiative only.
Now, a 28-page notebook discovered in a Russian archive disputes this theory and indicates that Hitler was in on the mission. The notebook was penned in 1948 by Major Karlheinz Pintsch, a long-time adjutant to Hess.
In the notebook, Major Pintsch writes that Hitler hoped an "agreement with the Englishmen would be successful",
the `Daily Mail` reported.
Pintsch notes that Hess`s task -- five weeks before
Germany launched its invasion of Russia -- was to bring about,
"if not a military alliance of Germany with England against
Russia, then to bring about a neutralisation of England".
Pintsch was captured by the Soviets. His interrogation
transcripts found in the archive in Moscow show Hitler wasn`t
surprised when he heard of Hess`s capture.
The relevant section reads, "Nor did he rant and rave
about what Hess had done. Instead, he replied calmly: `At this
particular moment in the war that could be a most hazardous
"Hitler then went on to read a letter that Hess had
sent him. He read the following significant passage out aloud:
`And if this project... ends in failure... it will always be
possible for you to deny all responsibility`."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living