Hitler’s 9/11 plot
New York: A new documentary has revealed that at the height of the Second World War, German U-boats had dropped eight saboteurs in the United States on a secret mission to destroy targets across the country.
According to a German documentary – ‘Attack on America – Hitler’s 9/11’, the first group of four men - carrying armfuls of weapons, explosives and primers - came ashore near New York on June 13, 1942, with another four landing from another U-boat off Ponte Vedra Beach in Florida four days later.
They were supposed to stage attacks on economic targets such as New York’s Penn Station, hydroelectric plants at Niagara Falls and aluminium factories in Illinois and Tennessee.
Codenamed Operation Pastorius, the mission was the brainchild of Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, chief of the German Abwehr counter-intelligence service.
“It has surprising parallels with 9/11 because the Nazis’ goals were the same - to kill as many people as possible while crippling economic installations,” a newspaper quoted Spiegel TV, the documentary makers, as saying.
The German ‘terrorists’ were however less successful than those of al Qaeda, as all the eight men were arrested without striking any of their targets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis