Hockey in a very bad phase in India, Pakistan: Khan
Bhopal: Former Hockey Olympian Aslam Sher Khan has said that hockey was going through a very bad phase both in India and Pakistan although due to varying reasons.
"While in Pakistan, hockey was going through a bad phase as the country itself was in turmoil, the game was suffering in India due to other reasons." Khan, also a senior Congress leader, told reporters.
"Some time back we had the Indian Hockey Federation which was dissolved and its place was taken by an ad hoc committee and this too was also disbanded some time later," he said.
The former hockey Olympian said that "the game was being run in India through what is known as Hockey India but even till today, this body has failed to get recognition from the government."
"Hockey was being run in India at the whims and fancies of the FIH and the first indication of this was that a Spaniard was appointed as the coach of the Indian national hockey team," he said adding "there was no point in having a coach from abroad for the Indian hockey team as there were many number of stalwarts who could have taken up this job easily and done it in a much better manner."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents