Hockey pitch in London named after Dhyan Chand
London: A newly-laid Astro-turf hockey pitch, at a cost of £250,000, at the Indian Gymkhana Club in London has been named after Indian hockey legend Dhyan Chand.
Major Dhyan `Chand` Singh, better known as Dhyan Chand, was an Indian field hockey player, widely regarded as the world`s greatest field hockey player of all time.
A legendary centre-forward, he is remembered for his goal-scoring feats, first as a player and later as captain.
Chand won three Olympic gold medals (1928 Amsterdam, 1932 Los Angeles, 1936 Berlin) and was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India`s third highest civilian honour, in 1956.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the new pitch, Prof Nat Puri, President of the Gymkhana Club said, "The pitch is another step in the direction to provide better sporting facilities at the club."
Lord Gulam Noon, Vice President of the Indian Gymkhana Club said the Gymkhana needed to build 20 studio rooms to facilitate visiting players to stay at the Club.
He sought the assistance of Councillor Jagdish Sharma to get necessary approval from the Council for the project.
Dhyan Chand was the elder brother of fellow player Roop Singh. His father Sameshwar Dutt Singh was in the Indian army, and he played hockey in the army.
Chand joined the Indian Army at the age of 16, in 1922. It was in informal matches in the regiment that Subedar-Major Bale Tiwari noticed his dribbling skills.
A keen enthusiast of the game, Tiwari recognised Chand`s talent. He became his mentor and laid the foundations of his technique.
Ajit Singh Sidhu, a compatriot of Dhyan Chand described Dhyan Chand as one of the greatest hockey players of the world.
Swatantra Soni, Secretary of the Gymkhana club said the Club had raised £250,000 from members and supporters under a 10-year repayment guarantee scheme. He said every visiting team that came from Australia, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka used to play a match at the club but in the last 10 years it has changed.
Councillor Jagdish Sharma said Indian community here could feel "very proud of the Club".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in