Holders Dutch to meet Argentina in hockey final
London: Olympic and world champions Netherlands will meet hosts Argentina in the women`s hockey World Cup final on Saturday.
It will be a repeat of the Champions Trophy final in Nottingham in July when Argentina beat the Dutch 4-2 for their third successive title.
The Dutch, six times World Cup winners, reached their fourth successive final when they beat England 4-3 on penalty strokes after a 1-1 draw on Thursday.
Argentina, who won the 2002 final against Netherlands in Australia, went through with a 2-1 victory over Germany in the second semi-final.
Netherlands, who scored 25 goals in five pool matches compared to only seven by England, were held scoreless in the opening half for the first time in the tournament.
A hard-working English side went ahead in the 56th minute with a goal by Hannah McLeod from a cross from the right by Crista Cullen.
The Dutch, who had more possession but were kept out by a stern English defence, equalised within five minutes when top scorer Maartje Paumen converted a penalty corner to take her tournament tally to 11.
Dutch goalkeeper Joyce Sombroek made two saves from penalty strokes to one by her opposite number Beth Storry before Kim Lammers converted the stroke that decided the match for the Netherlands.
Argentina went ahead in 25th minute when captain Luciana Aymar, six times world player of the year, ran through from midfield, went right and shot low across goalkeeper Kristina Reynolds for her fifth goal of the tournament.
Rosario Luchetti added to the lead with seven minutes remaining when, on her knees close to goal, she diverted the loose ball past Reynolds after the keeper had blocked a shot.
Germany`s top scorer Maike Stoeckel pulled one back with less than two minutes remaining, the first goal conceded by Argentina in five matches since their opening 5-2 win over South Africa.
England and Germany will play for the bronze medal on Saturday, also a repeat of the Nottingham third place playoff won by England.
Earlier, Japan beat Spain 2-1 in the playoff for 11th place in the 12-nation tournament. Kaori Chiba scored the winner two minutes from time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender