Home, auto loans to cost more as RBI tightens policy: Bankers
Mumbai: Home, auto and corporate loans are likely to cost more, with the Reserve Bank raising key policy rates by half a percentage point, bankers said Tuesday.
"I think banks do not have any other option but to increase rates. It could be 25 basis points or 50 basis points, depending on individual banks," IDBI Bank Executive Director R K Bansal told an agency.
Since the cost of funds has gone up, the banks would have to review their rates, he said.
Oriental Bank of Commerce Executive Director S C Sinha also said the repo rate hike of 50 basis points will definitely have an impact on interest rates.
Rates are likely to go up and a decision to this effect will be taken in the ALCO (asset liability committee) of the banks in the next few days, Sinha said.
The RBI has hiked key short-term lending and borrowing rates by 50 basis points (0.5 percent) each with immediate effect to tackle inflation. This is the ninth time since March, 2010, that the RBI has raised key policy rates to tame inflation.
The short-term lending (repo) rate now stands at 7.25 percent and the borrowing (reverse repo) rate at 6.25 percent.
At the same time, the savings banks rate was revised upward after a gap of almost seven years to 4 per cent from the existing 3.5 percent to provide relief to savers affected by high inflation.
Commenting on the policy action announced in the annual credit policy for 2011-12, Union Bank of India Executive Director S C Kalia said the stance is very clear and signals hardening of interest rates.
The monetary measures are aimed at anchoring inflationary expectations without impacting credit growth, Kalia said.
Echoing a similar view, Dena Bank Executive Director Ashok Kumar Dutt said monetary transmission of the last policy rate hike has not taken place so far. With this increase, banks would go in for revision of interest rates.
In its last policy review in March this year, the RBI raised the policy rates by 25 basis points to rein in inflation. However, most of the banks absorbed the rate hike and did not pass it on to consumers.
The exact quantum will be decided by individual banks in the next few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'