Home favourite Wozniacki triumphs in Copenhagen
Copenhagen: World number one Caroline Wozniacki won her fifth title of 2011 on Sunday with a comfortable 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Czech fourth seed Lucie Safarova in the final of her home tournament in Copenhagen.
Wozniacki, the top seed, did not drop a set en route to the final and she kept the momentum going against Safarova, storming through the first set in 23 minutes then fending off a far more solid Safarova in a 45-minute second set.
"Congratulations to Lucie for a good week and reaching the finals," Wozniacki said at the trophy ceremony.
"I wish her good luck in Eastbourne and in the grass court season -- hopefully we can both make it far at Wimbledon."
Safarova`s previous matches this week caught up with her.
She had to come back from a set down to win all four of her other matches, including a semi-miraculous comeback from 6-1, 4-0 down against Petra Martic in the semi-finals.
"I`m disappointed, but it was a great week for me and I will be back next year," Safarova said.
"Congratulations to Caroline, she played really well today. It must be great for her to win at home -- I can only imagine. I wish her all the best."
Wozniacki`s other titles in 2011 came at Dubai, Indian Wells, Charleston and Brussels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped