Home Ministry takes up security issues with DoT
New Delhi: The Home Ministry is learnt to
have raised a host of security-related issues with the Telecom
Department amidst security agencies raising concerns over
Chinese vendors supplying equipment to Indian vendors.
The Home Ministry has told the Department of Telecom
that many foreign calls originating abroad do not have the CLI
(Caller Line Identification) parameters hampering intelligence
analysis and investigations into anti-national activities
being undertaken abroad, according to an internal note of DoT.
The issue of CLI came to the fore way back in 2004 when
Reliance Communications allegedly violated the identification
norms for diverting international traffic as local to save on
access deficit charge, a fee levied by the government to
compensate BSNL`s rural operations. ADC was later withdrawn.
Reliance Communications was penalised Rs 150 crore
alleged violation of CLI norms.
MHA also has taken up with DoT the Call Data Record issue
saying BSNL had refused to provide the call data record.
"BSNL`s refusal and DoT`s position in this regard will
hamper operational activities undertaken by the security
agencies, including IB, towards ensuring national security."
MHA further said a number of value-added services by
telecos use personal information of subscribers, including SIM
number, name, location, for commercial purposes by different
enterprises like real estate, banks and other businesses.
"This indicates telecom companies are using CDR data for
commercial purpose", said the note. DoT is preparing its
response to the MHA issues, said an official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam