Hope Obama gives peace a chance: Imran Khan
Gurgaon: Describing Barack Obama as a man whose "natural instincts are against war", Pakistani politician Imran Khan Wednesday hoped the US President would "give peace a chance" and stop CIA-operated drone attacks now that he had been re-elected.
"What Pakistan would be hoping for is a de-escalation of violence in Afghanistan and the drone attacks in Pakistan`s tribal areas," the cricketer-turned politician told reporters at the World Economic Forum conference being held here.
The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chief said Obama`s "natural instincts are against war".
"Now he (Obama) is no longer under pressure to be re-elected. We hope he will give peace a chance, which we so desperately need," he said.
Khan said Obama`s first term in office had been "very tough on Pakistan -- an increase in drone attacks and a surge in Afghanistan and increased militancy in Pakistan as a result."
Imran said he wanted Obama to call a ceasefire in Afghanistan, saying if Americans do not "get it right, it is conceivable that they will leave it in a bigger mess than they found it."
Khan has campaigned for an end to US drone strikes against suspected Taliban and al Qaeda militants in Pakistan`s tribal areas, saying they result in civilian casualties.
He argues the strikes are illegal and counterproductive.
In October, Khan had led thousands of supporters -- and some US peace activists -- on a march to the edge of Pakistan`s restive tribal districts to protest against drone strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?