HSBC in talks to buy RBS Asia assets including in India:Report
New York: Financial services major HSBC Holdings Plc is in advanced talks to acquire the retail and commercial banking assets of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) in India, China and Malaysia, says a media report.
Attributing to a person familiar with the situation, the
Wall Street Journal said HSBC is in advanced discussions to
"buy the retail and commercial banking assets" of RBS in
China, India, and Malaysia.
"The emergence of HSBC as the leading bidder comes after
exclusive talks between RBS and Standard Chartered PLC over
those assets have stalled over price," the daily said.
The publication noted that it is not clear that Standard
Chartered is out of the race completely, but its bid appears
to have lost momentum.
According to the report, the assets are the final piece
of an auction that began earlier this year to sell off RBS`
retail and commercial banking assets across the region.
"The British lender wants to trim its operations to repay
a UK government bailout during the financial crisis, shedding
some operations it acquired as the leader of a consortium that
acquired Dutch financial services firm ABN Amro," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore