HSBC in talks to buy RBS Asia assets including in India:Report
New York: Financial services major HSBC Holdings Plc is in advanced talks to acquire the retail and commercial banking assets of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) in India, China and Malaysia, says a media report.
Attributing to a person familiar with the situation, the
Wall Street Journal said HSBC is in advanced discussions to
"buy the retail and commercial banking assets" of RBS in
China, India, and Malaysia.
"The emergence of HSBC as the leading bidder comes after
exclusive talks between RBS and Standard Chartered PLC over
those assets have stalled over price," the daily said.
The publication noted that it is not clear that Standard
Chartered is out of the race completely, but its bid appears
to have lost momentum.
According to the report, the assets are the final piece
of an auction that began earlier this year to sell off RBS`
retail and commercial banking assets across the region.
"The British lender wants to trim its operations to repay
a UK government bailout during the financial crisis, shedding
some operations it acquired as the leader of a consortium that
acquired Dutch financial services firm ABN Amro," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside