HSBC says profits `significantly` up on last year
London: HSBC, Europe`s biggest bank, said on Tuesday that pre-tax profits during the third quarter were "significantly ahead" compared with the equivalent period a year earlier.
In a trading update that did not provide figures, HSBC also said that its expenses linked to loan defaults fell to their lowest quarterly level in more than a year.
"Pre-tax profit for the third quarter of 2009 was significantly ahead of the third quarter 2008," HSBC said in a statement.
Chief executive Michael Geoghegan added: "Driven by stabilised credit performance in the US, loan impairment charges have fallen to their lowest quarterly level for over a year."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs