Hu Jintao firmly in-charge of Tibet issue: WikiLeaks
Berlin: True democracy prevails in China`s
Communist Party Politburo which is more keen on consensus than
decrees on all issues except for the Dalai Lama and Tibet, the
subject on which President Hu Jintao is "firmly in charge", a
US diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks says.
The cable released by WikiLeaks and published by German
magazine `Der Spiegel` says US diplomatic sources in Beijing
believe "true democracy" prevails in the Politburo of the
ruling Communist party, within the little-known group of top
apparatchiks consisting of 24 men and one woman.
No one outside China`s ruling cadre knows who at the top
of China`s power structure decides what and why. No one knows
who thinks what, who is allied with whom and who really has
influence. Public debates are rare, the magazine qouted the
cable as saying.
Hardly any decisions, no matter how sensitive they
might be, are decreed by head of state Hu Jintao or head of
government Wen Jiabao.
Decisions instead tend to be taken collectively by top
Communist party functionaries. When vital policy issues, such
as relations with Taiwan or North Korea, are up for decision,
all 25 Politburo members are involved. Lesser issues are
resolved by the nine-member standing committee, it said.
The committee, though, does not decide by vote, according
to cables sent from US diplomats back to Washington. Instead,
issues are weighed up and discussed for as long as it takes to
arrive at a consensus.
In the decision making process, to be sure, Hu Jintao`s
"views carry the greatest weight," US diplomats quote a source
with access to the inner power circle as saying.
"It is a consensus system," the source said, "in
which members can exercise veto power."
It is a system that ensures that none of the Communist
party functionaries becomes too powerful.
But, US diplomats have been told, that doesn`t apply to
one particularly touchy issue: that of the Dalai Lama and
Tibet. On that subject, China`s president and Communist party
general secretary Hu Jintao "is firmly in charge."
In Hu`s eyes, the Dalai Lama is a traitor and a
separatist. Those who would prefer a milder approach on the
India-based exiled Tibetan leader risk their careers, US
diplomats have been told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what