HUGE AFTERSHOCK SHAKES INDONESIA
New Delhi: Hours after an 8.6 earthquake struck Indonesia, another earthquake measuring 8.2 on the Richter Scale hit the island nation.
There is a lot of panic among people after the aftershock, reports say.
The US Geological Survey said that the first quake was centred 33 kilometres beneath the ocean floor around 495 kilometres from the provincial capital of Banda Aceh, which was also felt in Thailand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, India and the surrounding region.
"Earthquakes of this size have the potential to generate a widespread destructive tsunami that can affect coastlines across the entire Indian Ocean basin," the US Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.
Though the US tsunami warning center advised local authorities to take "appropriate action", the chances of the Indonesian earthquake triggering a devastating tsunami is very unlikely.
Following the massive earthquake, a tsunami alert was issued in as many as 28 countries.
However, there are no immediate reports of any casualty or large scale destruction of the property in Indonesia and surrounding areas. As a precautionary measure, the Phuket Airport in Thailand was closed and metro services were halted in Singapore.
In India, the tremors of the high intensity quake were also felt in the northeastern and other regions of the country including Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Bihar, Assam and Manipur.
The Indian government has also issued a tsunami alert for Nicobar Islands following massive earthquake off Sumatra coast. Consequently, the coastal regions of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Andaman Islands have been put on alert following Sumatra quake.
Indonesia straddles a series of fault lines that makes the vast island nation prone to volcanic and seismic activity.
A giant 9.1-magnitude quake off the country on December 26, 2004, triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people, nearly three quarter of them in Aceh.
Last year, a 9.0-magnitude earthquake caused a tsunami and nuclear disaster in Japan, killing some 19,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report