Huge prize money awaits World Cup Kabaddi winners
Chandigarh: The prize money for the winning team at the Second World Cup Kabaddi tournament to be held in various centres of Punjab would be doubled to a whopping Rs 2 crore, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal announced on Sunday.
Badal said that the prize money for the title winners has been doubled to Rs 2 crore whereas team securing second and third positions would get Rs 1 crore and Rs 51 lakh respectively in the tournament to be held in October-November.
Sixteen countries will take part in the tournament and they would be divided into four groups of four countries each. Each of the group toppers will qualify for semifinals.
For the women`s section, the winning team will get a prize money of Rs 25 lakh, the runners-up will receive Rs 15 lakh while other participating teams will pocket Rs 10 lakh each.
Badal said that it was for the first time that an international tournament for women`s kabaddi is being organised with such high prize money.
Badal said that the state will also organise exhibition matches for women teams from five nations -- India, USA, Canada, UK and Iran -- during the World Cup Kabaddi.
Badal reviewed the arrangements for the tournament in the high level meeting with Sports Department and office bearers of Punjab Kabaddi Association here.
The Chief Minister said said that all matches would be held under floodlight and telecast live throughout the world fulfilling the long pending demand of Punjabis living in Canada, USA, Europe, Australia and Gulf countries.
The newly constructed floodlit stadium in Bathinda will be the venue of the opening ceremony besides also hosting both the semifinals. The final will be held at the industrial city of Ludhiana and the closing ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey