Huge prize money awaits World Cup Kabaddi winners
Chandigarh: The prize money for the winning team at the Second World Cup Kabaddi tournament to be held in various centres of Punjab would be doubled to a whopping Rs 2 crore, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal announced on Sunday.
Badal said that the prize money for the title winners has been doubled to Rs 2 crore whereas team securing second and third positions would get Rs 1 crore and Rs 51 lakh respectively in the tournament to be held in October-November.
Sixteen countries will take part in the tournament and they would be divided into four groups of four countries each. Each of the group toppers will qualify for semifinals.
For the women`s section, the winning team will get a prize money of Rs 25 lakh, the runners-up will receive Rs 15 lakh while other participating teams will pocket Rs 10 lakh each.
Badal said that it was for the first time that an international tournament for women`s kabaddi is being organised with such high prize money.
Badal said that the state will also organise exhibition matches for women teams from five nations -- India, USA, Canada, UK and Iran -- during the World Cup Kabaddi.
Badal reviewed the arrangements for the tournament in the high level meeting with Sports Department and office bearers of Punjab Kabaddi Association here.
The Chief Minister said said that all matches would be held under floodlight and telecast live throughout the world fulfilling the long pending demand of Punjabis living in Canada, USA, Europe, Australia and Gulf countries.
The newly constructed floodlit stadium in Bathinda will be the venue of the opening ceremony besides also hosting both the semifinals. The final will be held at the industrial city of Ludhiana and the closing ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow