Human immune system has emergency backup plan
London: A team of scientists has found that the immune system has an effective backup plan to protect the body from infection when the "master regulator" of the body``s innate immune system fails.
A molecule known as nuclear factor kappa B (NF-?B) has been regarded as the "master regulator" of the body``s innate immune response, receiving signals of injury or infection and activating genes for microbial killing and inflammation.
Scientists at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences studied the immune function of laboratory mice in which genetic tools were used to block the pathway for NF-?B activation.
The researchers made the unexpected and counterintuitive discovery that NF-?B-deficient mice were able to clear bacteria that cause a skin infection even more quickly than normal mice.
"We discovered that loss of NF-?B caused mice to produce a potent immune-activating molecule known as interleukin-1 beta (IL-1ß), which in turn stimulated their bone marrow to produce dramatically increased numbers of white blood cells known as neutrophils," said lead author Michael Karin, Distinguished Professor of Pharmacology.
The new research demonstrates that the innate immune system deploys two effective strategies to deal with invasive bacterial infection, and that the IL-1ß system provides an important safety net when NF-?B falls short.
The study appeared in the December 19 online issue of the journal Nature Immunology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends