Hungary hand Denmark first defeat of campaign
Budapest: Group One winners Denmark lost for the first time in this World Cup qualifying campaign, going down 1-0 at home to Hungary on Wednesday.
Eliminated Hungary grabbed the only goal in the 35th minute when midfielder Akos Buzsaky beat goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen with a low shot.
Denmark went close to an equaliser with five minutes to go but keeper Gabor Babos punched an effort from Michael Silberbauer over the bar.
"Of course I`m disappointed but I think we played well in the first half," said Denmark coach Morten Olsen.
"The players have been under so much pressure lately so it`s okay that we lost the only match we could afford to lose."
The Danes finished with 21 points from 10 games, two ahead of second-placed Portugal. Hungary were fourth on 16 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH