Hungary hand Denmark first defeat of campaign
Budapest: Group One winners Denmark lost for the first time in this World Cup qualifying campaign, going down 1-0 at home to Hungary on Wednesday.
Eliminated Hungary grabbed the only goal in the 35th minute when midfielder Akos Buzsaky beat goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen with a low shot.
Denmark went close to an equaliser with five minutes to go but keeper Gabor Babos punched an effort from Michael Silberbauer over the bar.
"Of course I`m disappointed but I think we played well in the first half," said Denmark coach Morten Olsen.
"The players have been under so much pressure lately so it`s okay that we lost the only match we could afford to lose."
The Danes finished with 21 points from 10 games, two ahead of second-placed Portugal. Hungary were fourth on 16 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Will look beyond India if blockade doesn't end: Nepal