Husband hangs by wife’s truth: The Telegraph
New Delhi: Truth, inspired by reality TV, has claimed its first victim. Surinder, 30, killed himself unable to accept that his wife Ratna (both names changed) had a serious affair before marriage, a confession she made after being forced to take the hot seat in imitation of the show Sacch ka Saamna.
On August 11, the couple watched their favourite show at their Greater Noida home at 11pm. On that day, event manager Meena Shah, who was in the hot seat, admitted that she was in an extra-marital relationship.
After the show, Surinder, who worked as a supervisor in a company, suggested they play the game. Ratna was reluctant but he persuaded her.
First, he sailed through the questions she threw at him. When he began to quiz her, she hesitated and asked him to drop the game. But Surinder insisted and made her swear on her unborn child that she would tell the truth.
He also told her that he loved her and however heartbreaking the truth, it wouldn’t upset him or make him love her less, said an official working on the case.
When he asked Ratna if she had had an affair before marriage, she confessed to having been in a serious relationship before they tied the knot last February.
Surinder would, however, have nothing but the full truth. Did she have pre-marital sex? Ratna said “yes”.
He was upset but shortly they went to bed.
Ratna’s uncle Santram said: “When Ratna woke up in the middle of the night, she found him hanging from the ceiling fan. A friend helped her take him to hospital where he was declared brought dead.”
A fortnight before the incident, Delhi High Court had thrown out petitions seeking a ban on Sacch ka Saamna, saying: “We don’t think our social values are so fragile that one TV programme will damage them.”
It may not have been aware that truth in real life can be crueller than television truth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees