Hyperactive immune system kills during pandemic flu
Washington: A study suggests that people are made critically ill, or even killed, by their own immune response during H1N1 flu pandemic.
Fernando Polack, associate professor of paediatrics at the Vanderbilt University Medical Centre, and colleagues in Argentina and Nashville provide a possible explanation for this alarming phenomenon of pandemic flu, according to a Vanderbilt statement.
"Every time there is an influenza pandemic, there is a large proportion of younger, or middle-aged adults who die. We have always explained these deaths, based on presumed virulence of virus, or getting bacterial infection at the same time," Polack said.
During the flu pandemic, Polack and his team went to work looking for evidence of a biomarker he had used before.
A biomarker is a protein that can be measured in blood or tissue whose concentration reflects the severity or presence of some disease state.
Polack found high levels of C4d in lung tissues that suggest a massive, potentially fatal activation of the immune system.
Todd Rice, assistant professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt, has seen people getting killed by the "exuberant" and uncontrolled response of the immune system in other diseases - like sepsis.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory