Hyun helps Korea bt Argentina 2-1
New Delhi: Drag-flicker Hyun Woo Nam scored in the dying moments as a resilient Korea came back from a goal down to beat a fighting Argentina 2-1 in their second Pool A match of the hockey World Cup here today.
Lee Nam Yong (62 minutes) scored the equaliser while Hyun
(70th) converted a penalty corner just 54 seconds from the
hooter to give Korea full three points from the match.
Facundo Callioni scored the lone goal for Argentina in
the 53rd minute at the floodlit Major Dhyan Chand National
Korea showed great fighting spirit and scored two goals
within last 10 minutes to snatch victory from the jaws of
The Asian champions sparkled in the final 15 minutes of
the match, which was mainly dominated by Argentina for most
part of the day.
Argentina were the more attacking side in the first half
as they had two big scoring chances in the initial two minutes
but on both the occasion the forwardline disappointed.
The Koreans too had a few chances, mainly through counter
attacks, but their strikers lacked the finishing ability as
both the teams failed to break the deadlock in the first
period. The second half started on a similar note as both the
teams fought tooth and nail but still failed to score inspite
of numerous chances.
However, it was Argentina who finally broke the deadlock
in the 53rd minute through Callioni from a Juan Martin Lopez
lay off. It was incidentally the Argentina`s first goal in the
tournament as they lost to the Netherlands 0-3 in their
Just when it seemed that the Argentines would walk away
with full three points, Young drew parity after he was
beautifully set up by his captain Jong Ho Seo.
As if it was not enough for the Argentines, Korea scored
the winner in the final minute of the match when Nam`s
drag-flick beat Argentine custodian Tomas Juan Espinosa all
Korea earned their sixth penalty corner when they claimed
for it after the ball hit an Argentine foot inside the D. The
video umpire confirmed the short corner and Nam was spot on
with the low flick to the delight of his teammates.
Korea will face New Zealand in their next pool match on
Friday, while Argentina takes on defending champions Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon