Hyun helps Korea bt Argentina 2-1
New Delhi: Drag-flicker Hyun Woo Nam scored in the dying moments as a resilient Korea came back from a goal down to beat a fighting Argentina 2-1 in their second Pool A match of the hockey World Cup here today.
Lee Nam Yong (62 minutes) scored the equaliser while Hyun
(70th) converted a penalty corner just 54 seconds from the
hooter to give Korea full three points from the match.
Facundo Callioni scored the lone goal for Argentina in
the 53rd minute at the floodlit Major Dhyan Chand National
Korea showed great fighting spirit and scored two goals
within last 10 minutes to snatch victory from the jaws of
The Asian champions sparkled in the final 15 minutes of
the match, which was mainly dominated by Argentina for most
part of the day.
Argentina were the more attacking side in the first half
as they had two big scoring chances in the initial two minutes
but on both the occasion the forwardline disappointed.
The Koreans too had a few chances, mainly through counter
attacks, but their strikers lacked the finishing ability as
both the teams failed to break the deadlock in the first
period. The second half started on a similar note as both the
teams fought tooth and nail but still failed to score inspite
of numerous chances.
However, it was Argentina who finally broke the deadlock
in the 53rd minute through Callioni from a Juan Martin Lopez
lay off. It was incidentally the Argentina`s first goal in the
tournament as they lost to the Netherlands 0-3 in their
Just when it seemed that the Argentines would walk away
with full three points, Young drew parity after he was
beautifully set up by his captain Jong Ho Seo.
As if it was not enough for the Argentines, Korea scored
the winner in the final minute of the match when Nam`s
drag-flick beat Argentine custodian Tomas Juan Espinosa all
Korea earned their sixth penalty corner when they claimed
for it after the ball hit an Argentine foot inside the D. The
video umpire confirmed the short corner and Nam was spot on
with the low flick to the delight of his teammates.
Korea will face New Zealand in their next pool match on
Friday, while Argentina takes on defending champions Germany.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'