I am not the Spanish Special One, says Nadal
Madrid: Rafa Nadal arrived back in Madrid on Wednesday after becoming only the seventh man to win all four grand slams and immediately dismissed the idea he was the `Spanish Special One`.
The 24-year-old has been involved in a whirlwind round of public events and television appearances since capturing his maiden US Open title by beating Serb Novak Djokovic in Monday`s final.
Nadal, though, said he could not be classified as Spain`s all-time greatest sportsman despite adding the season`s final tennis grand slam to his five French Opens, two Wimbledons and one Australian Open championship.
"I think it`s obvious I`m not," the left-hander said in an early-morning news conference at Madrid airport after his overnight trans-Atlantic flight from New York.
"It would be tremendously arrogant of me. All athletes have their merits for what they have done in their particular sports."
World number one Nadal continued to display typical modesty when he apologised to reporters for the early news conference.
"I`m very grateful. I know it`s a difficult time of day. I`m sorry," said the Spaniard, grinning from ear to ear and showing little sign of jetlag.
Nadal also explained the improved serve that surprised many pundits at Flushing Meadows.
"The truth is I was not serving very well in the tournaments leading up to the US Open," he said.
"I`ve worked hard on the service because it needed it. I decided to change my grip two days before the tournament, to make it (the ball travel) quicker especially when serving against the wind there always is on centre court at Flushing Meadows.”
"It was a risk but I had to take it and it all worked out pretty well."
Nadal will now take a break from tennis and the Real Mallorca shareholder and soccer fan is planning to watch Real Madrid later on Wednesday.
He will be at the Bernabeu to see the self-proclaimed Portuguese `Special One` Jose Mourinho`s new team take on Ajax Amsterdam in their Champions League opener.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery