I have no time for Hockey India job: Kalmadi
New Delhi: Rubbishing former captain Pargat Singh`s allegation that he is hell bent on becoming the Hockey India president, IOA chief Suresh Kalmadi said he is so pre-occupied with this year`s Commonwealth Games that he simply doesn`t have the time or interest for the HI job.
"I am the President of the Indian Olympic Association and Chairman of the Organising Committee of the Commonwealth Games, which keeps me fully occupied. I have no time or interest in taking over hockey," Kalmadi said in a statement today.
Earlier in the day, Pargat lashed out at Kalmadi, calling him a "Sports Mafia" and claiming his men had tried to negotiate an under-table deal with Hockey Punjab, of which Pargat is the secretary, to grant them affiliation provided they supported Kalmadi for the HI top job.
Kalmadi dismissed the claim and said, "I have a national duty to perform -- to ensure that the Commonwealth Games are conducted successfully.
"I`m also responsible for the smooth conduct of the coming World Cup hockey being staged by IOA and FIH of which I`m the joint chairperson of the Governing Board," Kalmadi added.
Rubbishing allegations of dilly-dallying with Punjab`s affiliation, Kalmadi said, "I understand that Hockey Punjab was given affiliation within one day after submission of all their documents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY