I have no time for Hockey India job: Kalmadi
New Delhi: Rubbishing former captain Pargat Singh`s allegation that he is hell bent on becoming the Hockey India president, IOA chief Suresh Kalmadi said he is so pre-occupied with this year`s Commonwealth Games that he simply doesn`t have the time or interest for the HI job.
"I am the President of the Indian Olympic Association and Chairman of the Organising Committee of the Commonwealth Games, which keeps me fully occupied. I have no time or interest in taking over hockey," Kalmadi said in a statement today.
Earlier in the day, Pargat lashed out at Kalmadi, calling him a "Sports Mafia" and claiming his men had tried to negotiate an under-table deal with Hockey Punjab, of which Pargat is the secretary, to grant them affiliation provided they supported Kalmadi for the HI top job.
Kalmadi dismissed the claim and said, "I have a national duty to perform -- to ensure that the Commonwealth Games are conducted successfully.
"I`m also responsible for the smooth conduct of the coming World Cup hockey being staged by IOA and FIH of which I`m the joint chairperson of the Governing Board," Kalmadi added.
Rubbishing allegations of dilly-dallying with Punjab`s affiliation, Kalmadi said, "I understand that Hockey Punjab was given affiliation within one day after submission of all their documents."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what