I have opened a can of worms: Aiyar
New Delhi: Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar said his recent outburst against the Commonwealth Games has opened up "a can of worms" which was evident from the alleged corruption charges that has rocked the October 3-14 sporting extravaganza to be held.
"I have opened a can of worms. I have opened a pandora`s box. Now it`s for the media and others concerned to follow-up," the 69-year-old politician said of the alleged financial irregularities in various CWG related projects.
Aiyar, a stern critic of the Delhi Games, has recently created a furore by saying that he would be unhappy if the CWG are a success.
Soon after his unsavoury remarks, Aiyar pledged that he will not speak on the Games till it is over but rejected reports that he was asked by his party seniors to keep a mum on the subject.
"I want to assure you that no one from the Congress party at any level had asked me not to speak (on Commonwealth Games). It`s a purely voluntary decision on my part," the former Sports Minister said.
Taking pot-shots at Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi as well as the Delhi government, Aiyar had earlier said, "Those who are patronising the Games can only be evil. They cannot be God."
His outburst sparked off a verbal slugfest with Kalmadi, who termed Aiyar`s remarks as "anti-national" and "irresponsible".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls