I-League sponsorship issue not our headache: AIFF
Kolkata: There may be a cloud mark over the main sponsors of the premier I-League but the All India Football Federation (AIFF) is not bothered.
AIFF president Praful Patel, who was in the city for the Santosh Trophy final, said it`s the duty of their media partner Zee Sports to find sponsors.
Public sector Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) were last season`s sponsors and they are yet to renew for the upcoming 2010-11 season I-League.
“It`s not our headache. They (Zee Sports) are looking into the matter. Zee will decide on the new sponsors,” Patel told reporters on the sidelines of the Santosh Trophy final that Bengal won beating Punjab 2-1.
Earlier, Patel along with deputy Alberto Colaco visited the Ravindra Sarovar Stadium to finalise on a new venue.
He was impressed with the facilities but did not like the state government`s idea of just a five-year lease.
“I hear that they are giving a lease for a period of just five years, which is very less. Five-year is a very short period. I will speak to the chief minister if they can extend the lease for a period of 25 to 30 years,” Patel said.
Asked about Bollywood actor John Abraham and India captain Bhaichung Bhutia`s proposal for an Indian Football League similar to that of highly-successful IPL in cricket, Patel said they have to weigh the pros and cons of it.
“It`s a nice proposal. We can assure you that land will not be a problem for them. A lot of proposals are coming from various quarters but we have to sort out seeing the pros and cons,” Patel, also the Union Aviation Minister, said. He urged the media to play an unified role in successful conduct of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi from October 3-14.
“Let`s stop criticising when it`s less than two months to go for the Games. Our country`s pride is involved in staging the CWG, he said.
“We must support it collectively and ensure that it`s staged smoothly. There should be a fair investigation and the guilty should be punished,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP