I never thought of getting Olympic quota so soon: Rahi
Mumbai: Young pistol shooter Rahi Sarnobat said on Tuesday that she had not even dreamt of qualifying for London Olympics after looking at the age of her competitors in the ISSF World Cup in the United States, where she won a bronze medal to book a berth in the 2012 sporting extravaganza.
"Most of the competitors had probably children my age and I thought it would need another eight years at least to get a quota place. It`s a dream for every shooter to take part in the Olympics," said the 20-year-old Rahi at her first-ever media conference.
Rahi fired 789.7 to win the bronze and the quota in the 25m air pistol event. She shot 582 to qualify for the finals in which she tallied 207.7 to win the third place at Fort Benning.
The Kolhapur-born pistol wielder, who had changed her grip before the World Cup in America, said she had benefited from the constant interaction with other shooters and the international exposure.
"I took up the game in 2008 and because of the constant interactions and international exposure the pistol shooters, have gained in self confidence, though without a national coach. Our performance will only improve now on," said the Delhi Commonwealth Games 25m pistol pairs gold medal winner.
Though there`s no coach for the pistol shooters at the national level, Rahi and others at the Lakshya supported "Gun for Glory" shooting academy at Balewadi in Pune – brainchild of ace rifle shooter Gagan Narang - have got a foreign coach
to train them now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!