`I quit Arsenal to win trophies with Man City’
London: French defender Gael Clichy has reportedly turned down a lucrative new contract with Arsenal to join Manchester City because he was fed up with the Gunners failure to win trophies.
The 25-year-old claimed that after only a week with his new team-mates on City’s pre-season tour in the United States and Canada, he already feels he has made a winning choice.
“After spending eight years with Arsenal it would have been easy to sign a new contract to stay there, because they’re a fantastic club that will always be challenging for trophies,” a daily quoted Clichy, as saying.
“But, it got to a point for me where I didn’t just want to challenge for the titles only to be disappointed in the final weeks of the season. I wanted to play for a club that would win them,” he added.
Arsenal was at one stage in the hunt for four trophies, but won nothing.
Clichy, who signed a four-year contract with City, insisted that he was not being critical of fellow Frenchman Wenger or Arsenal.
But the failure of Wenger’s team to convert title challenges into silverware had persuaded him to move, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr