IBM email challenges Google in the `cloud`
San Francisco: IBM on Monday will begin
offering businesses a basic "cloud computing" email service at
a price that undercuts a plusher offering by Internet giant
IBM unabashedly pitched its new LotusLive iNotes as an
alternative to email service Google has been promoting as part
of a campaign to win businesses over to using applications
hosted as services on the Internet.
"Email and other collaboration services are the right
entry point for many companies to realize the promise of cloud
computing," said IBM Lotus Software general manager Bob
"But, only if clients feel confident they`re getting
business-grade service from a trusted leader in enterprise
Software provided online as a service instead of being
purchased and installed on home or office computers has been a
growing trend accelerated by tough economic times because it
is cheaper to "rent" than to buy software.
Google has been enticing users to a suite of online
applications offered as services, many of which compete with
text, email, accounting and other software sold by Microsoft.
The California-based Internet titan stumbled last
month when its web-based email went offline for a couple of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie