IBM inks $200mn deal with Datacom, gets services deal from Idea
New Delhi: IT major IBM on Wednesday said it has
bagged an order believed to be worth USD 200 million from
Videocon Group`s telecom arm Datacom, which is slated to
launch cellular services this year, for providing IT
infrastructure and services.
Although the companies did not disclose the contract
amount, sources said it was around Rs 950 crore.
"As a new entrant into the telecom market in India, we
understand the significance of partnering with a company that
can provide the necessary impetus for growth in this intensely
competitive market," Videocon Group Chairman VN Dhoot said in
Datacom has licences to provide GSM services across the
country and plans to launch them in four circles this year. It
is aiming at national presence by the end of 2010.
IBM has also won a contract from cellular firm Idea for
providing messaging and data services, although the company
statement did not reveal the worth of the contract.
Under the 7-year contract, IBM will provide Idea with
complete Service Delivery Platform (SDP), which will enable
publishing and distribution of content through multiple
channels – SMS, MMS, WAP and Web.
It will also support 3G services, which enable high-speed
access to Net and content like video, gaming and music.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Under construction building collapses in Hyderabad, several labourers trapped
- What a dance! Pakistan's 'Hrithik Roshan' enthralls judges of America's Got Talent - WATCH
- BSF, Pakistan Rangers to hold DG-level talks in Islamabad next week
- Colossal buzz! Karan Johar mighty impressed with Riteish Deshmukh's 'Banjo'- See teaser poster
- India, US solar case: WTO appellate body's ruling in mid-Sept