IBM lists top 5 innovations
New Delhi: Technology giant IBM has released a list of top five innovations, which will help city authorities in addressing health problems like H1N1 virus, energy and water needs as well as crisis management.
"As the landscape of human lives changes, we have to look at technologies which would make cities more efficient in responding to the needs of the people. We believe these top five innovations are a reflection of the changes taking place and also what is to come in the future," IBM Research (India) associate director Manish Gupta said.
With an estimated 60 million people moving to cities and urban areas each year globally, the list focuses on technologies that will help the city authorities address increasing population and deteriorating infrastructure, he added.
The list talks about innovations in the health space which will help in better detection, tracking, preparing for and prevention of infections, such as the H1N1 virus or seasonal influenza.
"Given their population density, cities will remain hotbeds of communicable diseases ... We will see a "health Internet" emerge, where anonymous medical information, contained in electronic health records, will be securely shared to curtail the spread of disease and keep people healthier," he said.
Smarter buildings is yet another innovation which finds place in the top five innovations list.
"Thousands of sensors inside buildings will monitor everything from motion and temperature to humidity, occupancy and light.
This system will enable repairs before something breaks, emergency units to respond quickly with the necessary resources, and consumers and business owners to monitor their energy consumption and carbon emission in real-time and take action to reduce them," Gupta said.
Other innovations include smarter grids for saving electricity and water as well as the use of sensors, which will be able to monitor cities and detect threats in advance.
"We feel that innovations for health, energy and water conservation and security make sense for India as well as on a global level," Gupta said, adding that these technologies have been deployed worldwide.
Companies like DLF, North Delhi Power and Hindustan Petroleum Corp have deployed some of these technologies.
While DLF has deployed IBM`s digital surveillance solution, NDPL is working with the technology giant for accelerating the adoption of smart grid technologies and business solutions throughout the world.
HPCL is using IBM`s Radio Frequency Identification-based solution for end-to-end tracking LPG cylinders from plant to the end-consumer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'