Ibrahimovic named player of year at Italy`s "Oscars"
Rome: Former Inter Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic was named Italian players` association player of the year on Monday despite now being with Barcelona.
The awards, known as the Italian soccer `Oscars`, were voted on by Italy-based players during the close-season and reflect performances during the 2008/09 campaign.
This allowed Sweden`s Ibrahimovic, Serie A top scorer last term with 25 goals, to win the best player and best foreign player awards having joined Barcelona in July.
"I miss Italy. I learnt so much in five years and won lots. But now I am enjoying Spain and I love it at Barcelona," Ibrahimovic was quoted as saying by ANSA news agency while in Milan to pick up his award at a ceremony.
His former coach Jose Mourinho, who has often clashed with rival managers and journalists but is respected by players throughout the game, won the best coach award after leading Inter to last season`s Serie A title in his first campaign in charge.
Inter were also elected team of the year.
The best Italian player award went to AS Roma and Italy`s tough-tackling midfielder Daniele De Rossi while Inter`s Julio Cesar was voted Serie A`s top goalkeeper.
Best young player was AC Milan`s Brazilian Alexandre Pato and the defender award went to Juventus centre back Giorgio Chiellini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra