Ibrahimovic named player of year at Italy`s "Oscars"
Rome: Former Inter Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic was named Italian players` association player of the year on Monday despite now being with Barcelona.
The awards, known as the Italian soccer `Oscars`, were voted on by Italy-based players during the close-season and reflect performances during the 2008/09 campaign.
This allowed Sweden`s Ibrahimovic, Serie A top scorer last term with 25 goals, to win the best player and best foreign player awards having joined Barcelona in July.
"I miss Italy. I learnt so much in five years and won lots. But now I am enjoying Spain and I love it at Barcelona," Ibrahimovic was quoted as saying by ANSA news agency while in Milan to pick up his award at a ceremony.
His former coach Jose Mourinho, who has often clashed with rival managers and journalists but is respected by players throughout the game, won the best coach award after leading Inter to last season`s Serie A title in his first campaign in charge.
Inter were also elected team of the year.
The best Italian player award went to AS Roma and Italy`s tough-tackling midfielder Daniele De Rossi while Inter`s Julio Cesar was voted Serie A`s top goalkeeper.
Best young player was AC Milan`s Brazilian Alexandre Pato and the defender award went to Juventus centre back Giorgio Chiellini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'